Signs of Ingestion of Toxic Substances
©1999 Melissa Kaplan
Signs of ingestion of a toxic substance (plant or chemical substance) include:
Some of these same signs can occur as a result of envenomation from a spider or scorpion bite.
Don't wait to see if the signs will abate - call (or have someone call) your regular reptile vet or emergency reptile vet (have these numbers and locations on hand before you need them) and let them know what the animal ate, what the signs are, and that you are on your way. Regular poison control hotlines may be useful, but their experience and expertise is mostly with humans, dogs and cats. The National Animal Poison Control Center may also be able to offer information, but in a potential emergency, time is of the essence and you should get your reptile to a vet who can institute antidote and supportive therapy as quickly as possible.
Need to update a veterinary or herp society/rescue listing?
Can't find a vet on my site? Check out these other sites.
|Clean/Disinfect||Green Iguanas & Cyclura||Kids||Prey||Veterinarians|
|Home||About Melissa Kaplan||CND||Lyme Disease||Zoonoses|
|Help Support This Site||Emergency Preparedness|
© 1994-2014 Melissa Kaplan or as otherwise noted by other authors of articles on this site